The application cycle for our Spring 2022 offering of Level I is now closed. Sign up to be notified regarding our future offerings.

The Peace & Conflict Studies Center offers professional development opportunities for faculty and staff to learn and practice conflict transformation skills.

The PACS Center training takes the approach that conflict can be a catalyst for social change and places primary emphasis on the question of social justice. The training includes an exploration of how identity and power imbalances affect the development and resolution of conflict.

Conflict is a natural part of every relationship that can be either a destructive force or a stimulus for creating constructive change. We can learn how to respond in ways that maximize conflict’s potential for positive change.

Peace & Conflict Studies workshops will cover the core skills of conflict transformation. Participants will learn and practice skills related to understanding the roots of conflict, identifying their own and others’ emotions, interests, and positions, and facilitating collaborative problem solving.

This skills training currently takes the form of a Conflict Transformation Academy that takes place in two parts: Level I and Level II. Those who have complete Level I will be invited to participate in Level II.

Upcoming Series:

Conflict Transformation Academy: Level I – Spring 2022:

Level I: Spring 2022: Wednesdays 10-12 PM on 2/9, 2/23, 3/9, 3/30, 4/13, and 4/27

Feb. 9: What is Conflict? Nonviolent Approaches to Conflict Transformation
Feb. 23: Why Does Conflict Occur? Human Needs, Emotions, and Interests
Mar. 9: How Does Conflict Shape Lives? The Role of Power
Mar. 30: How Do We Interpret Conflict? Subjectivity and Perception
Apr. 13: How Do We Respond to Conflict? Communication Strategies
Apr. 27: Putting it All Together: Reflections on Our Practice

Level II – Spring 2023:
Dates TBA. Completion of all sessions for Level I are prerequisites to register for Level II.

Faculty and Staff are eligible for up to 12 hours of professional development credit upon completion of all 6 sessions in Level I or Level II.

For questions, please contact Laila Taraghi at laila.taraghi@austincc.edu