Maria Daniela Tellez Estrada, ESOL student

Happy New Beginning, Everyone!! Although last semester was not as we all expected, changes and uncertainty have made us stronger and more resilient students. The 2021 new semester has arrived, and with knowledge and experience, we are ready to take it head on and make it a success!  Here are 4 tips that I suggest you use this new semester: 

1. Plan your schedule.

I mistakenly thought that I would feel like a superwoman while studying at home until I discovered that home is where I have more distractions. Therefore, I started organizing my day with specific and measurable goals, and everything seemed more structured. I found out that I was more productive when I planned my daily routine to achieve my goals. The schedule included study time, homework time, and class time. In fact, it helped me to relieve the stress I was generating due to isolation. 

2. Log in early. 

In online education, there is no need to make time to avoid traffic and arrive early to school. You just need to move from one room to another and turn on your computer. However, it is always helpful to get ready for the lesson minutes before since inconveniences can occur on your computer. I remember one time my lesson was about to start, and my computer decided to stop working. It took me several minutes to solve the problem. What I am trying to say is that bad connections, application issues, or computer issues can happen at a time when you don’t expect it. 

3. Get in touch with professors and classmates. 

Having good communication with classmates and professors, even when you haven’t met them, is crucial. Use Whatsapp or other apps to get in touch with them. That same day I had an issue with my laptop, it was a classmate who saved me from being marked absent. I contacted her and she told the professor, who had already started the class, that I was late due to a tech problem. 

4. Pay attention during class.

Last but not least, pay attention!! You are now taking your online class with your phone near you and Facebook or Instagram opened on your laptop. Your computer, with all its distractions, is your classroom. You should practice self control to focus on the important part: the class. We can learn more when we focus on other students’ perspectives and appreciate professors’ time and experience.