Upcoming Events will be posted here!
About the PRH Forum: The Philosophy, Religion and Humanities Forum at ACC provides opportunities for members of the college and the broader community to attend events featuring speakers, panels, and films related to our disciplines. Our events emphasize connections between our courses of study and contemporary lived experience, and we welcome participation from everyone interested in these topics. In 2023, we will be presenting a series of events focused on the theme of Human Movement.
Fall 2023 Events:
Fall 2023 Calendar
- Post-CCHA Conference Symposium: Finding Your Career in Arts and Culture, sponsored by Humanities Texas and co-presented with the PRH Forum
- Date: Saturday, Oct. 14th
- Time: 3-5 pm
- Location: Austin Community College Highland Campus Presentation Hall, HLC2.1550
- Description: Have you ever wondered how to become a museum curator? A media archivist or historian? An advocate for the arts in your community, or beyond? There are many educational and career choices available in these fields, however students at Community Colleges are often unaware of the ways that their studies can prepare them for a broad range of professional opportunities in the humanities. Join host Jean Anne Lauer (Austin Community College; Fantastic Fest) and panelists Marco Buentello (Humanities Texas), Kate Betz (Story+Reason), and Elizabeth Hansen (Texas Archive of the Moving Image) for a conversation about the way that CC’s can provide foundations for students to gain entry into exciting and innovative careers in the public humanities.
- Hip Hop Symposium: Celebrating Journalism and Cinema in Hip-Hop featuring Billy Johnson Jr. on the role of Journalism in Hip-Hop & Rakeda Ervin on the Cinematic Evolution of Hip-Hop.
- Date: Wednesday, October 18th
- Time: 3pm – 6pm
- Location: ACC Highland Campus, Presentation Hall, RM 1550
- Description: This is free event for ACC Students, Staff, and Faculty, and the general public. Light refreshments available. For questions: contact Professor Jay McCullar at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 512-200-3618. Hip-Hop Symposium Flyer HLC Oct. 18th.
Spring 2023: The PRH Forum hosted a film screening and discussion in partnership with Austin Film Society.
A film by Ai Weiwei
Germany/China, 2017, 145 minutes, English
“As a human being, I believe any crisis or hardship that happens to another human being should be as if it is happening to us. If we don’t have that kind of trust in each other, we are deeply in trouble.” — Ai Wei Wei
Date: March 5, 2023
Location: AFS Cinema
About the film: Artist, activist, and director Ai Weiwei captures the global refugee crisis — the greatest human displacement since World War II — in this breathtakingly epic film journey HUMAN FLOW.
More than 65 million people around the world have been forced from their homes to escape famine, climate change, and war. Ai Weiwei examines the staggering scale of the crisis and its profoundly personal human impact. Over the course of one year in 23 countries, Weiwei follows a chain of urgent human stories that stretch across the globe, including Afghanistan, France, Greece, Germany and Iraq.
Discussants: Dr. Jean Anne Lauer, professor of Humanities and Film studies at ACC, and Natalia Drelichman, attorney with American Gateways.